Dec 21, 2014

2015 Personal development goals

Echoing a bit of health goals HERE and the library card post HERE, the personal development goals below also have something related to books and reading. I've put aside books, classes and learning for ages but I really enjoyed my undergraduate life. Too bad we all have to work to make a living.

Personal development:
  1. Finish the magazine backlog
  2. Read 3-5 books during the year, non-fiction and health books mostly
  3. Make to-do lists every week, month and year to keep on track and do better planning mentally, financially and physically
  4. Be surrounded by people who "do good"
  5. Empower self
Goal (1): there are about 6 issues at hand. If you're interested, the magazine starts with an "M" and has about 150+ pages each...I love the quality of writing there and the variety of topics (travel! society! geopolitics!) but found that my reading rate was far lagging behind that I cannot catch up with the past issues, plus the subscription fee was too high (although quality matches with the price I'd say), this year I didn't renew the subscription and I have no plans to do that in near future. There's another quarterly mag (here if you're interested) that I'd like to subscribe but I didn't, owing to space (storage) issues and being the slow reader that PJ is (know thyself lol). It costs much cheaper and the quality of writing is still there, and its content is what I'd appreciate: getting connected with life, objects around you and nature, people, etc. It explores a different theme in each issue: on aging, hosting dinners, travel, farming, food.

Goal (2): I know the target 3-5 books is rather pathetic in numbers, but I"m aiming to start small here. I know very well what would happen if I target 10 books or 12 books a year, the reality is I wouldn't be able to accomplish that I(unless all are fiction books) and it'll make me feel bad. In high school I was told by my English literature teacher that I read too much fiction books (she guessed it by my writing style, lol) and she wanted me to spice things up a little by changing the genre I read. Non-fiction was hard and I didn't like it at first, but a year later I began to understand why she recommended that and I thanked her in my heart when I'm rushing for deadlines in my Uni essays.

Goal (3): Risking to sound I'm too micro-managing in every aspect, it's just to make things easier. I have drawn up a list of yearly events: Mid-autumn dinners, red packets for Chinese New Year, dental checkups and washes, insurance renewal, i.e. things that require tremendous effort like bleaching and wiping, or events that incur expenditures. Having this list at hand would help me have a better idea of the monthly budget, how much free time that month I would be, and how much breathing room I'd have (financially and time). Another good things about the list is, it basically works year after year with some minor tweaking.

Goal (4): Let's just say I'm surrounded by negativity and ungratefulness / asinine people particularly at work on a daily basis, 2015 I want to be surrounded by people who 'do good' and make good things happen to others.

Goal (5): It felt as if I've been in the backseat watching my life for so long (years), in 2015 I'd like to take the steering wheel again, metaphorically speaking. I wanted to pick up that 'can do, will do' vibe and that can be done if I can draw up weekly or monthly goals and taking baby steps to empower the self again and tell myself it's possible if I put my mind to it. Goal (5) is closely related to goal (3).

Family/Friends goals and career goals up next!

2 comments:

  1. PJ these are excellent and reasonable goals. And having reading as a goal is great - no matter how much reading you plan to do. Reading (fiction and nonfiction) enhances your life and makes you "think" and exposes you to so much. Oh and I think the lists are great. Trust me - as you get older you'll be happy to have something to fall back on!
    ~ Pru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Am really pleased to hear you think they are reasonable - i was wondering because i had so many goals broken down to different aspects...they now look so huge to me (lol) but baby steps are better than none!

      Delete