Dec 19, 2014

Frugal entertainment: Where's my library card?

Thinking about the trips next year, I dropped by the library during lunch the other day just to see what sort of travel books they have (and how new or dated). Holy molly, while not all are the latest editions, they do have quite a nice selection of travel guides there!

What remains uncertain is the travel dates and location, this depends on my parents mostly. We won't know until next year's spring.

I haven't been to the public library (or Uni library) for years, and I think I might be missing something, something frugal, something fun, something satisfying to the mind and soul :-) It's time to renew my library card and get borrow some books to read. I still have some books I bought long ago (and those that kept sitting on the shelves) with pages un-turned. 

There's this one book I kept reading the first 20 pages and left it aside, when I picked up I re-read the 20 pages and then stopped, this has repeated several times. (And I'm still on page 20 if you want to know)

Over to you, do you stay on course with one book until you finish it? Or read a few books at the same time? And what do you read mostly?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To answer your question PJ, no I don't stay with a book normally if I get stuck at a certain point. There is one exception and it's a book I have on my bedside table at the moment, which was a Christmas present 2 years ago and I know at some point I will read it to the end. It's a good book but I have reader's block at the moment. Generally tough, my attitude is that my free time is too precious to waste on reading a book that doesn't really grab me because I am a book worm - or at least I used to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi January, may I ask how you define getting "stuck"? Not interested to go on (plot/content wise), or up to a page where you just put down the book but could never got around to pick it up again?

      I used to finish every book til the last page until idk when - I just stopped at a certain book and have left books for good (school materials excluded). Recently I've been planning to flip some pages :)

      Delete
  3. I generally finish most books but can have more than one going at the same time - but totally different topics like a mystery and a business book. If it is a nonfiction book and I am not really in to it or I don't like the author's style or it is badly written, I will skim over certain parts. Mainly then I am looking for info on the topic and don't need to read it word for word. I don't do this for fiction. If I'm not satisfied, back to the library it goes.

    Get a library card!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pru! I have one but it was kept somewhere, just have to dig it out! :)

      Delete