Mar 30, 2015

Moneytalk, March: the good and the bad

This post will cover anything related to $. The monthly wrap-up will be another post.

Let me start off with something good. Previously one of my goals in March is to pump up my savings to a certain amount by March, and I've JUST achieved it, albeit marginally. The sum will all go to my down payment in future. This sum excludes my day to day cash in my wallet, my emergency fund, the account I set aside for yearly categories (more on that), any money tucked away in bonds and stock (I only hold one, looking to expand the profile). For the past few months, I have a new habit of putting *some* notes at home and replenish the wallet when the notes run out. For some reason, this worked for me, the thought of going to ATMs every week worries me and I panic at the thought of it. I intend to go to ATMs not more than 4 times a month: paying my credit cards in full, wiring money to my folks (this is safer than handing them cash), withdraw cash (to replenish). Sometimes I even do same things at once to save me time from the ATM queue, the queues can be horrible I tell you: there was once I had to wait for 10-15 minutes, it depends on where you are.

Well the not so good news was, the authorities have made people who are looking to buy their first homes much more difficult now. In the past people can walk away with 90% mortgage 10% down payment (minimum). No more of those days...it's now 30% down payment for everyone. Which, to me, is a sky-high number! I did a count, if my salary and savings rate stays the same, it'll take me close to 10 years to accrue the figure that would allow a down payment for a very, very modest house. But the amount wouldn't be enough to cover any lawyers cost, stamp duty, renovation, fitting-out, etc. It's very sad and more so when there's nothing I can do about it. 

Another piece of news is: huge change in commute pattern has taken place, I just did a very modest calculation and found that I'll probably need to pump up 50% more than my previous budget on commute. I'm curious to see how this change of commute pattern will influence my way of thinking about what transport to take; and how the item will play out in my budget. I have not revised my budget yet, as I would like to see how it play out in the first 1-2 months. Meanwhile I might need to start chanting *money buys time*, I need to look at where else I can cut back on...

Moving on, I've come to a decision regarding the talk on credit card upgrade. After a few calls to the hotline, I found out that I had nothing to lose after all! The worst case scenarios if I cannot meet the spending limit was (1) I had to call them to waive the annual card fee, which I have 70% they will do so, if not, I'll just cut the card or I can (2) downgrade it to my current card, without any charges. The upside was, I'll accumulate my points quicker, have unlimited access to the airport lounge. The even better part was, I can sign up for subsidiary cards for my family and DB, the subsidiary cards have no minimum spending per year, no annual card fee, and same unlimited access to the said lounge. Now I want to kick myself for not going for the upgrade sooner. The subsidiary cards I'll have their spending limit lowered if I should apply any, however my hesitation is whether getting the subsidiary cards will affect my credit score.

Thee coming of April will see the whole city "doing without" plastic bags, the shops will impose a levy on most plastic bags used. Some items that are frozen, fresh (think fish from the market), or bread from the bakery, will be exempted (but I don't know what else). This is a big problem for moi as I tend to buy a few items here today and a few items the next day, and I hate bringing an extra bag with me to carry groceries. Hopefully this will wean me off from buying unnecessary groceries, but this policy is a royal pain to housewives and everyone, really. Paper bags can be the new option for shopkeepers but their cost is almost double or even more than a plastic one. Talk about conundrum. 

The following paragraphs is for Pru, I figured it'll probably be best fitted under "Moneytalk" ;) Do remember I am only speaking for what I do, and some or most people may not do what I'm doing, or maybe they are doing even more. 

Every month I set aside a certain amount of my salary to be given to my parents, right now that sum is at 25%. I would adjust it every 2-3 years when I get a small raise, but the % will be 25. My folks used to say their generation would give 70% of their income to their families, but they have siblings and people were generally very poor back then. We had arguments about this before, but 25% seems to work best now, although I'm sure they want more, and that they can take more...In our culture, sons and daughters "should" (although arguably some don't) give some money to their parents regardless whether they are still living with them or not. Agreeing with the spirit behind this practice, I intend to continue this practice even after getting married or moving out one day. It's just the right thing to do and I don't question it. My folks have given me the best they can, and are as frugal as they are.

Another related "expenses" to the above, is the money for my grandparents (I call it "granny money"), it's not an obligation (read: I'm not their direct offspring, they have a handful of them and the offspring are the ones who should be giving them money like I do in the above paragraph), but it makes them happy. Plus I don't see them often, like 4-5 times a year, each time I'll give them a few hundred to let them buy what they want, eat what they want. They are not working anymore and solely rely on their savings, and if not, their offspring to support them. So whenever it's birthday of my grannies, around Chinese New Year or Mid Autumn Festival, I'll shell out some. I know some people who don't do what I'm doing, but I always say you never know how long they're still there for, and in their prime age they were working hard for the family and now it's the time they should be taken care of. 

7 comments:

  1. re: plastic grocery bags, keep a reusable bag in your purse so you don't have to purchase plastic bags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill and Pru - I've got those around! The problem we face is that we use those plastic bags as bin liners here too!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Gill. Get something like this so it folds up easily in your purse - you can find one with a cute design. It'll pay for itself very quickly.

    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/needIt/reusableBags?productId=10034162&N=80161

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting the info about "granny money" - I figured that's what it was :-) Gotta keep grandmas happy! And I think it's great that you support your parents. Part of it is cultural but if your parents are good to you, you need to be good to them.

    Sorry to hear about the housing deposit/down payment. But keep saving what you can. Part of it may just have to do with the times/economy. Here when the credit crisis happened, they made people put down more money. As times get better, they'll forget and people will be able to put down less. Don't let it discourage you. Just keep moving forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I think as well, re: down payment / house prices issue. All I can do is to keep saving, and pray for their prices to go down.

      Re: the granny money, I totally agree it's not that much to do with culture, but I can't quite put the right word for it, it's not just "courtesy" because it's someone we have direct relationship to, "propriety" sounds too distance, plus i do this not just because of "norm", filial piety is more apt.

      Delete
  4. Hi PJ,

    Our county went bag-free about a year ago. When we go shopping we either walk down to the market and take a bag or we drive down if we're getting a ton of groceries at once. Since we rarely find ourselves there by surprise, it has worked out okay.

    One product that's really helpful that Marie found was this reusable back that gets tucked and folded into something about the size of a wallet. We can carry it anywhere!

    Also, take heart about the down payment! We US-based folks can sometimes get away with smaller down payments, but they give you higher interest rates to account for it. When Marie and I bought our place, we ended up doing a full 20% down. It did take several years of saving, but looking back it wasn't hard, and now we have an awesome house to call our own!

    Good luck!

    Keep on saving,
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Charles! The first step is always the hardest to climb.

      Delete